What procedure must be followed when an accident or disease occurs?

The employer is obliged to inform the statutory accident insurance institution of any occupational accident which results in an employee being unfit to work for a period exceeding three days. Any accident requiring treatment by a doctor which is suffered by a child or student in an educational establishment must be reported. Fatal accidents must of course also be reported to the accident insurance institutions.

Suspected cases of occupational disease must be reported both by the employer, and by the doctor treating the condition. This is a statutory requirement. In addition, insured individuals may also contact their accident insurance institution themselves at any time should a (possible) case of occupational disease not yet have been reported by their employer or the doctor. The doctors treating the condition are also obliged to produce a report.

Deliberate self-inflicted injury, accidents caused by the influence of alcohol, or accidents attributable essentially to private activities are not insured.